Oceans are a generous supply of foods rich in vitamins. This is obvious from the fact that a large number of people all around the world depend on the seas and oceans as a primary source of food. Globally speaking, seafood is richer in protein compared to sheep, poultry, and cattle.
Fish is the most common seafood eaten by people across the globe and it has a wide variety of nutrients including vitamins A and D, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium. These nutrients are necessary for the development and improvement of the brain in infants. For adults, it helps in the protection against stroke and heart diseases.
Here are some benefits of eating fish as research has revealed that eating fish is beneficial to our bodies in a number of ways.
- Good For The Heart – Have you ever wondered why people living in the Arctic region has very low levels of heart disease? It’s the fish they consume. Fish contains a lot of omega-3 and it is low in saturated fats. Omega-3 reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood and protects the heart against disease. Some even suggest that an extra fish meal reduces the risk of heart disease by half.
- Healthier Joints – It has been discovered that symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis have been eased when sufferers eat fish as part of a balanced diet. Eating more of seafood can help to prevent this condition.
- Brighter Eyes – The human eyes are made bright and healthy through the regular consumption of oil-rich fish. For those who are suffering from defective eyesight especially in old age, omega-3 fatty acids can help improve sight, especially for those suffering from age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This is a condition that causes the vision to become blurry. Fish also contains vitamin A which boosts night vision.
- Basic Nutrient – By eating fish, you are providing your body with the necessary nutrient it needs, these are what keeps us healthy. Some of them are selenium, iodine, potassium, and zinc. Iodine is important for a healthy thyroid gland, and selenium generates the enzymes which help protect us from cancer.
- Glowing Skin – Have you ever wondered the secret of a wonderful skin? A regular dose of fish meal will do that. Omega 3 does not only help protect our skin from the effect of ultraviolet waves, it can also help with the relieving of skin conditions like eczema. It is a true source of protein which is necessary for collagen that is required for a healthy, firm and flexible skin.
- Increased Brain Power – The brain is made up of mostly fat with most of it being omega 3. Most researchers have proven that those who eat seafood are less likely to suffer from memory problems and dementia in their later life. The DHA, an omega-3 found in sea foods have been linked to an improved memory function in children.
Fresh seafood is one of the most nutritious and delicious food on the planet. Seafood has been endorsed by various non-profit organizations and government agencies as a routine part of a smart, healthy diet.